The Keynote speaker for the 2011 event was Brian Beaulieu, the Executive Director of the Institute for Trend Research. Beaulieu’s presentation was very well received, giving an insightful look into the economic trends for the future.
Each of SDR’s partners offered their take-aways from the event:
The three things that influence mega-trends:
- Population growth/demographics
- Taxes/trends of taxation.
Additionally, there is still a great deal of inexpensive debt available that business owners should take advantage of.
Long Range Economic Forecast:
- 2011-2013 – No double dip recession
- 2013 (last half) – Next recession
- 2015-2017 – Good years for business
- 2018-2019 – Next recession
Top 10 Industries for the future:
- Energy/Green Business
- Exports – especially to Canada
- Higher Education
- Funeral Services
- Legal Services
- “There’s nothing like debt to make you an entrepreneur.”
- “If you aren’t growing, you’re dying”
And given Brian’s forecast of the economic cycle and the imminent downturns in 2013 and 2018, business owners must pick a camp, grow vs. sell, and enact strategic initiatives that follow suit.
Click here to access video of the event or to download audio or PowerPoint slides from Brian Beaulieu’s presentation.