Whether we like it or not, tendencies and trends play an important role in business. Low oil prices have had an undesirable effect on the oil and gas industry, while low interest rates have made have made capital much more accessible for companies looking to grow. Staying up to date on the latest trends can help influence decision making and future planning.
In a recent Fortune article, author Bob Rubino highlights ten trends worth watching in middle-market M&A. Here are the highlights:
- Middle market M&A is growing
- Unsolicited offers are increasing
- Sponsors are getting more flexible
- Activism is a force to be reckoned with
- Deal multiples are expanding
- The market is good for cross-border deals
- Healthcare is heating up
- Energy and industrial M&A will grow
- Volatility will continue
- Interest rates will likely increase slightly
Despite these trends, most prospective sellers still believe their company’s value will be higher one year from now and are concerned about their businesses being undervalued if they make the move to sell today. Every situation is unique, but business owners should likely start evaluating the role that these tendencies could have on their future plans.